Give a read when you have a minute - an account of the only person born into a North Korean prison camp to escape.
Nine years after watching his mother’s hanging, Shin In Geun squirmed through the electric fence that surrounds Camp 14 and ran off through the snow into the North Korean wilderness. It was January 2, 2005. Before then, no one born in a North Korean political prison camp had ever escaped. As far as can be determined, Shin is still the only one to do it.
He was 23 years old and knew no one outside the fence.
Within a month, he had walked into China. Within two years, he was living in South Korea. Four years later, he was living in Southern California.
Stunted by malnutrition, he is short and slight — five feet six inches, about 120 pounds. His arms are bowed from childhood labor. His lower back and buttocks are scarred with burns from the torturer’s fire. The skin over his pubis bears a puncture scar from the hook used to hold him in place over the fire. His ankles are scarred by shackles, from which he was hung upside down in solitary confinement. His right middle finger is cut off at the first knuckle, a guard’s punishment for dropping a sewing machine in a camp garment factory. His shins, from ankle to knee on both legs, are mutilated and scarred by burns from the electrified barbed-wire fence that failed to keep him inside Camp 14.
Shin is roughly the same age as Kim Jong Un, the chubby third son of Kim Jong Il who took over as leader after his father’s death in 2011.
Shin was born a slave and raised behind a high-voltage barbed-wire fence. His mother beat him, and he viewed her as a competitor for food. His father, who was allowed by guards to sleep with his mother just five nights a year, ignored him. His older brother was a stranger. Children in the camp were untrustworthy and abusive. Before he learned anything else, Shin learned to survive by snitching on all of them.
Love and mercy and family were words without meaning.
Read more. [Image: AP]
A chilling account of the only person born into a North Korean prison camp and escape. It’ll leave you speechless.
- stccxviii likes this
- anthonica03 reblogged this from theatlantic
- richestwins reblogged this from theatlantic
- reichenbachfallsherlock likes this
- somewhere-in-the-leaves reblogged this from havesomeclassho
- havesomeclassho reblogged this from theyoungradical
- aquarius--moon likes this
- dreamer7149 reblogged this from snapawake1
- maclariza likes this
- lifeartheart reblogged this from vivatregina
- laswrixa reblogged this from dasverygay
- cosminpitea reblogged this from theatlantic
- perswaesion reblogged this from jadestuh
- five-weeks reblogged this from ylai
- kerrrfluffle reblogged this from nencyy
- summerreveries likes this
- ampora likes this
- pressingteeth likes this
- raidouraidou likes this
- dokidoki4boki reblogged this from cinnanie
- deshane likes this
- ibtk reblogged this from veganmudblood
- bystanding likes this
- vanfullersublime likes this
- dziobaki reblogged this from holysonnet10
- sofarfetched reblogged this from stopspinningtheworld
- davymac reblogged this from thecheekylibertarian
- thecheekylibertarian reblogged this from lalibertarienne
- quietly-creeping reblogged this from theatlantic
- myeongwol reblogged this from picturesoftheday
- subtlemag reblogged this from chrryblssmninja
- switchlights reblogged this from vivatregina
- vstar reblogged this from envanity
- porcelainsimplicity reblogged this from chrryblssmninja
- wefewwehappyfew likes this
- chrryblssmninja reblogged this from mizoguchi
- mamajava likes this
- graforlok reblogged this from carnivaloftherandom
- carnivaloftherandom reblogged this from eruditechick and added:
- sobananas reblogged this from veganmudblood
- meghanbee reblogged this from eebnahgem
- thewaronindifference reblogged this from veganmudblood
- keeping-sane reblogged this from theyoungradical
- wefeelbythemoon likes this
- biognosis likes this
- laughteronthe23rdfloor likes this
- subluxed reblogged this from theyoungradical
- ibtk likes this